
I took my Pixie to the doctor today for her 18 month vaccinations. Grandpa drove. I fed her pretzels and we laughed and chatted like old friends. Waited a long time in the office, but she was angelic the whole time, not getting bored till more than an hour into the wait. That's understandable, she had other people to listen to and watch, she likes doing that - a real sociable, observant child.
Finally, the nurse was ready and we prepped for FIVE innoculations, so every limb would be poked. How I dread these trips, the ones with her mother used to tear my heart out, though SHE never knew that (I told her when she was older). My BEEootiful little granddaughter cried as though her heart would break, great gulping sobs after the second stick. Poor baby!
Finally, we were done, and I stood with her cuddled in my arms, holding her with her blanket bunched in front of her...and she stopped crying, smiled through her tears at the nurse, clapped her little hands together, and said, "Good girl."
I burst into tears when I told Grandpa about it outside.
What a little trooper she is.
UPDATE1: SwampWoman, SwampMan, congratulations to both of you on 32 years of wedded sometimes-bliss. You have my admiration...and I'm hoping I make it that far myself! Sa-LUTE!
UPDATE2: The little blond angel is happy as a clam today, you'd never know she'd had a rather trying time yesterday afternoon! No fever, no grumpy, just not real happy with rain and storm that keep us inside most of the day. For that matter, I'm not thrilled with losing internet/tv/house phone for 5 hours either, but it COULD be worse, so I'm ok with it.


2 comments:
Oh, poor little Pixie! Took the grandson in for his 5 shots this past summer; I had NO IDEA that they got 5 shots at a time now. Poor little guy! Grandson didn't shed a tear but the lower lip trembled juuuuuust a little and the eyes blinked a little quickly. When it was over, he asked for if he could have ice cream. Yep, that ordeal cetainly deserved ice cream.
/While I made sure my kids were vaccinated, I had no immunizations of any kind until I went into the Army! After seeing those needles come at the grandkid, I was GLAD, too.
I was at one of those blood-drawing labs recently to get some bloodwork done. As usual, I hadn't made an appointment and the waiting room was crowded with people in varying degrees of health waiting to get their blood drawn, mostly elderly folk with a few middle-aged people there too.
One small little boy, maybe 3 years old, was crying bitterly when he was carried back to get blood tests done. He looked to be in very ill health, although I do not know what was wrong. He was screaming "No, mommy, they're hurting me, make them STOP!" and then sobbing as though his heart would break. He finally had to be carried out again with instructions to make sure he was well hydrated tomorrow for they had not been able to draw any blood that day.
It was hard for those of us in the waiting room that have had children and grandchildren to have to listen to that without running back to rescue the child. I imagine that it must have been so much worse for the parent.
It's TOUGH doing the right thing...it HURTS. Funny thing is, the tougher it is, the righter it probably is, too.
Post a Comment