Words mean things. But the thing does not change, just because we use a prettier word, a word to make a thing more acceptable.
Thomas Sowell says, "Some of our biggest political fallacies come from accepting words as evidence of realities."
"Investment." "Rich." "Stimulus." "Rent control." "Gun control." "Nuclear free world."
Remember the lipstick on a pig comment on the campaign trail? Same difference. "That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet." On the other hand, you can call it a landfill if you want - it's a garbage dump all the same.
I have a friend that gets kinda peeved at me on a regular basis because I ask her to explain the meaning of the words she uses. She might think I'm being overbearing and know-it-all, but what I'm REALLY trying to do is understand the language she speaks. Y'see, 'progressive' and 'communist' and 'socialist' mean pretty much the same thing in my mind, when used in the context of what we want (or don't want) from our government. She wants 'progressive,' 'fair' government by intelligent, educated people. I want Constitutional government, of the People, by the People and FOR the People...not just certain people.
See what I mean? Words MEAN things!
(thanks, Swampie and Robert D)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment