This has been one fine weekend, and it isn't just because of the weather - SUNSHINE AND 80! - I don't think. I ALMOST don't want it to end, but I do miss the Pixie and look forward to seeing her tomorrow. Perfect March weather thru Wednesday, a bit cooler on Thursday (73!), then maybe some showers next Saturday. Oh man, THIS is why we live here.
Thursday after work, Handsome Hubby replaced the front screen door. The new one is MUCH more foo-foo than the old board-&-screen-nailed-together - this one is solid vinyl, shiny white, VERY easy to wipe fingerprints off and so much sturdier. Heavier, too, so the Queen may not be able to let herself out anymore, but that's what she keeps me around for anyway, so no great loss.
Friday, My Favorite Husband came home with the idea that we replace the doors on the bathroom, the 2 bedrooms, and hallway/office. Doors were on sale at Home Depot, at a price we couldn't afford to pass up. Yesterday he hung the doors, today he put handles on 2 and the old doorknobs back on 2 and they are BEAUTIFUL!!! Yes, they need to be painted, but what a change it is to see all the doors MATCH!!! As my Pixie puts it, so eloquently - wow!
Obviously, while he did that, my best job was to stay outta the way. So I went for groceries...and then spent all my pay at the Garden Center on base. Garden soil, compost, bug killer (ant & roach) and plants. I LOVE shopping for plants! I dug weeds out of the raised beds and turned soil and added good stuff, then planted a hybrid tomato that's supposed to do well in HOT HUMID climates...like this one. It's called Southern Star, I hope it does well. I also got a Husky Cherry - had that last year, it worked great. I got a cucumber - and didn't notice till I got it home that it's one that can go in a pot, too. So that's where it is, on the other side of the carport. Found a grape tomato and a Japanese cucumber at Lowe's today. Cuke is in the front flower bed, at the base of my trellis (I had morning glories 2 years ago but have managed to kill 'em). Tomato was added to the bed with the other 2 tomatoes.
In the bigger bed I planted 2 purple petunias, 2 deep pink dianthus, and 2 pink impatiens, along with cilantro, thyme and lavender. That bed doesn't get as much sun, so hope this works out ok. I know petunias and dianthus will grow almost anywhere, my neighbors used to both grow impatiens (they're both passed on, they were First Settlers in this housing development back in the 50's) but I never had them before.
I don't think I have to worry much about this news from SwampWoman, because we have sand, not soil, and I'm not sure we have EVER watered, surely not more than 5 or 6 times...Mother Nature takes care of the "lawn" and I water the food plants with whatever liquid is available. Duffy had plans for rain barrels, too, which may get moved closer to the top of the list now.
All in all, a damn nice weekend...especially since I remember that 15 years ago this week I wrecked my motorcycle at Bike Week, spent 4 days in hospital there, then bed rest here while we prepared to move to Bremerton, Washington - and Flagler County kindly mailed me a summons to appear for a DUI. Which I dutifully did, plead No Contest, and proceeded to drink a 6-pack on the way home (I DID have sense enough to find myself a driver THAT day).
Just a bit over 3 years later, I got Sober for good. Lessons Learned.
I think I'll go read s'more Paco or Tim Blair, see what the Twisted Spinster has been up to, and then hit the rack early tonight. Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate it.
UPDATE: Y'think another reason for my mood MIGHT be the lack of political crap I've had to listen to? I'm gonna need a bigger shovel.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
It was so nice today that when I went out to the grocery store for my cold meds I just had to drive around for a bit despite the sneezing and runny nose. Unfortunately a lot of other people had the same idea and some of them were assriders. Several times I wanted to stop my car, get out, confront the other driver whose big, shiny truck (that had never carried anything but a surfboard) who was attached to my bumper, and ask him "Do you want to get married or something?" I hate Florida drivers.
I think we're going to have another one just like it today! I LOVE March in Jax.
Post a Comment