Sunday, June 7, 2009

Anniversary Plans

The Chief (retired) and I got married 22 February 1985. Went to the courthouse on a Thursday afternoon and met with a judge, she did the honours, then we drank a bottle of Asti Spumanti and spent the night at my apartment in Memphis, took him back to base at zero-dark-thirty, and didn't see him again till Monday or Tuesday. We have taken our honeymoon in increments, weekends here and there to do something fun, interesting, different. Honeymoons for people that have been living together for over 3 years seemed a waste of money and effort, in my mind. I've much preferred our way, it's never OVER, this way. I flew to San Diego from Washington for the weekend once when the ship was in. Same with a trip to Hawai'i when the ship was there picking up the Tiger Cruise passengers. Came back to Florida in 2000 & spent a few days with him in the barracks while he was re-training on P-3's, before we transferred to Hawai'i.

In 2004 we left Maryland and spent 2 nights and 3 days in San Diego, so we could see a Padres game in their new ballpark. (I also went to 3 AA meetings where I first learned the basics about living life based on the principles of the 12 Steps.)That was how we celebrated 20 years of marriage. You'll notice that the DATE is FLEXIBLE! I was a NAVY WIFE, fercryinoutloud, flexibility is a requirement. Adjust and adapt. We celebrated 6 months worth of holiday dinners in a 4-day weekend (The ship was leaving the Monday after Thanksgiving) before USS Nimitz deployed on the Med cruise that later took it to San Diego. Flexibility, adjustability, adapatability is KEY to any successful Navy marriage, and we succeeded for 22 Navy Family years.

Next February will be 25 years of wedded bliss. Holy blinkin' cow, Batman! What to do, what to do. This week, we figured out what to do. One weekend in September we're going to Damascus, Virginia. We're taking the kids and grandkid, spending one whole day and 2 nights there in a lovely little bed and breakfast in the heart of one of my favorite towns. The kids and the Chief (retired) will ride bicycles down the Virginia Creeper Trail, while I hang out with the Pixie...if I want. Which I will.

Don't know if Handsome Son-in-law has seen "autumn" or mountains in his whole life, or been on a road trip further away than Tampa. THAT is going to change, if he's gonna be part of THIS family! I think (and I really really hope) he'll enjoy it, and I know Lovely Daughter will.

I love my life. I'm so glad I get to share these things with them.

Very tired now, think I'll hit the rack so I can be on top of it tomorrow when I pick up the Pixie. Y'all have a fine evening, please come again some time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun trip! I've never seen the brilliant autumn foliage I've read about in the northeast. We had a trip to Vermont planned but then came 9/11, and we never went.