Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Edgy as a soccer ball"

I haven't stayed up late enough to watch "Late Night" in many years. I DID stay up for Carson when I was younger, and even Leno once in awhile. I'm not hip enough - and never have been, I guess - to stay up that late now, hoping to partake of what the Cool Kids watch. I do, however, keep up with Lileks and the goings-on at Jasperwood. Dave's being too too cute again, I understand?

What’s amusing is how unamusing he is in the clip. How sour he seems. Compare him to his predecessors: Carson was all midwestern charm, with unreadable yet mannerly reserve; Steve Allen was almost as smart as he was certain you thought he must be, but he was cheerful; Parr was a nattering nutball covered with a rich creamy nougat of ego, but he was engaging. Letterman is empty; he’s inert; he stands for nothing except disdain for people foolish enough to stand for anything - aside from rote obesciance to all the things Decent People stand for, of course, all those shopworn assumptions passed around in the bubble.

Cool and hip, maybe I'm not. But I'm also not unkind to children, even those who have parents more well-known than I. Thanks, James, for watching the dreck (so I don't have to) and writing so well about it.

(Tip of my cap to Lileks at the Bleat. Small towns create lots of wonderful people like him)

No comments: