I found this article last week, but have just re-read it.
From the Wall Street Journal online:
Never mind that in the past 20 years, thanks in part to the explosion of American consumption, hundreds of millions of people around the world, now with jobs to meet U.S. import demands, have eaten three meals in one day -- for the very first time in their lives. This is a War on Poverty that we are winning! Snobs would rather downsize and turn victory into defeat.
I try to keep my life "simple" - but I certainly don't advocate a return to the days of disease, malnutrition, or a severely shortened lifespan. I've lived in a rural area where indoor plumbing was NEW. I went to a country school in first grade that had electricity, and His & Hers outhouses. It's not my preference at the grand old age of 53. I prefer small-town life but recognize the convenience and blessings of living in this city. I love my cell phone, my refrigerator, central air conditioning in summer and a furnace in the winter. I've been the beneficiary of some of the medical miracles that came from the greatest Nation on Earth. I'm unwilling to give them up. I also have a small vegetable garden.
There's a balance to what I do and what I have - I have all I need, and more, to live a productive life in this society. I am content, and I am - and have - enough. If you wish for more and can produce that, good on ya. My ego can live with the fact that we're different that way.
Evidently not everyone is so blessed.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment