The Jacksonville Suns will play the New Orleans Zephyrs in the inaugural Dixie Classic.
This is the first year the Suns are AA for the Florida Marlins, and the Zephyrs are AAA.
The city council in Miami has passed a thing to build a new retractable-roof stadium, scheduled to open in 2012. At that time, the name will change from Florida Marlins to Miami Marlins.
Ick.
But, it's baseball, it's in Florida, their farm team is here in town, and we take what we can get in that case, don't we. I don't have to go to Miami to enjoy baseball.
By the way, the WeatherChannel forecast for tonight's game is +75F, with an 80% chance of thunderstorms. This is why Miami's getting a retractable - they get rained or lightning-ed out of games pretty often! The Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville is a very pretty park, I love it - but it ain't got no roof!
MORNING UPDATE: Driving home last night from Callahan - in the worst storm I've driven in in years - I heard the game was on rain-delay after 6 1/2 innings, with the Zephyrs ahead, but I didn't catch the score (lightning static) and I can't find it yet.
MORNING UPDATE 2: Yup, Zephyrs won, 3-2. More detail, if you're interested.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment