Thursday, April 2, 2009

From the Havre Daily News

My hometown newspaper - an afternoon paper, if I remember correctly - reports this today: There's time to submit comments and suggestions about building a visitor center at the Bear Paw Battlefield.

Did I know it wasn't called the Chief Joseph Battlefield? That's how I always referred to it...but I've been wrong about things before. Been a long time since I was there.

I do know it's one of my favorite places on the planet, and hope any visitor center is either on other land, unseen from the battlefield, or in town. Inconveniencing a few Easterners or visitors from other countries who whine about inconvenience is a small price to pay for keeping it as beautiful as it is. In my opinion.

Inconvenience...out on the Montana prairies? The closest airport is Billings or Great Falls, both 3 or more hours from Chinook, over mostly 2 lane blacktop, in good weather!
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BILLINGS MT
423 AM MDT THU APR 2 2009
.A DEVELOPING PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO THE
MOUNTAINS OF SOUTH CENTRAL MONTANA TONIGHT AND BRING PERIODS OF
HEAVY SNOW. THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE SLOWLY ACROSS NORTHERN
WYOMING AND SOUTHEAST MONTANA FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY AND BRING
PERIODS OF PROLONG PERIODS OF SNOW.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will Always be the Chief Joseph Battlefield as is the Custer battlefield Monument outside of Hardin at Garryowen.(now just a siding on the Bighorn Subdivision of the BNSF Railway)
Big Brother in KS.