Much as I want her to be smart and sassy and aware of the world around her, I don't think I'd agree with my Pixie sporting a Palin/Jindal button when she goes to kindergarten. Of course, I may change my mind between now and then!
Bret Stephens in the Wall Street Journal Online:
Typically, Noggin features such fare as "Dora the Explorer," "The Backyardigans," "Blue's Clues" and the deeply enigmatic "Yo Gabba Gabba." And typically, my wife and I are grateful for these sweet-natured, violence-free, semi-educational programs, even if Noggin's claim to being "commercial-free" elides the fact that it is one big ad for all the merchandise (dolls, toys, books, DVDs, the works) that goes with the shows.
I have a feeling 'commercialism' isn't going to be the point of THIS column?
Yet there we were -- my right-leaning self, my otherwise-leaning better half, the Obama-aware-though-not-yet-politically-engagée Lara and her slightly befuddled younger brother Noah --watching the Noggin channel as it "celebrates President Barack Obama and some of his favorite things."
. . .
I've been watching Noggin on a more-or-less daily basis for four years, and I can't remember a similar clip about President Bush, his bike rides, cowboy boots and Scottish terrier.
. . .
And if you campaign as a messiah, better not drop the mask.
Good stuff.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment