Sunday, April 5, 2009

Livin' like no one else...

Before I go sit down in front of the tv for a bit, hoping to see the Braves pull off a stunner in Philly, a bit of a thing that happened earlier today.

Me & My Chief (Retired) went to a morning meeting with some people we know. Afterwards, a group does about a 3 1/2 mile walk, down River Road a ways & back up to the meeting house. Duffy walked with them today, carrying the same amount of weight in his pack he'll have when he starts his hike on the AT. Out of the group of 6 were 3 retired Navy Chiefs, a retired Navy Reserve Officer, his wife the retired labor& delivery nurse who delivered the Pixie, and another guy...I think.

One of these gentlemen is in a recent new job (he sold cars when I first met him) selling something on a draw against commission. Not selling something might be a better term. He got married for the 3rd or 4th time a couple years back. His boss at the car lot was murdered & that job went away so he took the real estate school thing & became a licensed realtor. I think his wife did, too, but not sure. He was bagging groceries at the commissary for awhile, don't know if he still does that, he hasn't been there when I've been there, which means less than nothing. Wife drives a very nice little new(er) car (Mercedes? Beemer? Don't remember), and he has an Escalade. They bought a new house about 4 years ago in a very nice little neighborhood. None of which has a small payment, y'understand.

During the walk, this man was talking about how worried he is about all the payments he has to make that aren't getting made. On top of those other payments to be made are a few credit cards that are about maxxed out.

We probably get close to the same amount of Navy retirement, and for us that pays the mortgage, the power/water/sewer bill, the phone/cable/internet, the cell phone, the auto insurance, and part of the grocery bill. For him, I'm not sure it covers the mortgage and electric.

We decided a long time ago to live within our means, to spend less than we brought in, and, a few years ago, to NEVER use a credit card. Duffy also got us almost completely out of debt - except for my dentist - before he retired. We re-financed the house to a 15-year fixed, for much less than it was appraised. We have almost 4 months of operating costs in a money market account, in case of emergency. Our vehicles are paid for, and we're not shopping for the newest and shiniest. We have everything we need, we do everything we want, we're slowly working on our little old house, and even this hike on the Appalachian Trail is coming out of money that is NOT household money.

Duffy has a job that doesn't stress him out, doesn't pay a lot, but gives him a lot of satisfaction, is different every day, and lets him help people.

Dave Ramsey says (quoting the Bible?) that the borrower is slave to the lender. This household is more free than almost everyone at our stage of life. We lived like no one else, so we can live like no one else. Dave teaches what he does as a wealth-building tool, but we don't have to be and don't want to be wealthy (especially with the you-know-who's running the country)

We sleep very well at night, knowing we don't owe anyone anything but the mortgage. My Financial Advisors are Stephen, at our credit union, and Dave, who can be heard on radio stations around the country and online every day. It's a damn good life, and it makes me hurt for my friends who over-extended themselves so they could have pretty stuff, and are now going to have to pay the piper. There's ALWAYS a piper. Always.

UPDATE! Braves win 4-1 at Philly! Sleep well, I know I'm going to!

3 comments:

SwampWoman said...

I was recently privileged to be the guest of a relative that I hadn't seen for years, although we were close when we were younger. At that time, we both had the same type of goals, both coming from poverty-stricken backgrounds, which were that we wanted things. Expensive things. Things like new beamers, expensive house, fantastic clothes and jewelry....

Well, she got all that she wanted and then some. She has the house in the gated community, the new beamer, jewelry that would weigh down a draft horse, and priceless antiques everywhere. She takes several vacations every year to exotic locales.

I was acutely uncomfortable. I wanted my La-Z-Boy recliner (nothing so tacky in this household). I wanted my comfy clothes. I wanted my dogs. I could NOT imagine grandchildren running amuck in such splendor. I cannot imagine the payments that she has to make.

I suppose that over the intervening years I quit caring about what other people thought and started living to please myself.

dave said...

"We sleep very well at night, knowing we don't owe anyone anything but the mortgage. "

A good situation to be in, particularly in these times. unfortunately I have a wife who is less than responsible with money.

Thanks for the link to my blog by the way! I've reciprocated.

cheers,

kc aka Little Grandma's Kitchen said...

Welcome to my little place, Dave!

I wasn't the irresponsible one, but I could justify almost any spending for the sake of comfort and peace in the home. After some ugly stuff, I've learned to speak my piece, and argue my point if necessary. It doesn't do any good to whine about having so much credit card debt if the credit cards continue to be used, f'r instance. The rule now is - NO credit EVER, and one 'no' means 'no.' We both have a vote, which is more than just a platitude now, it's the way we do business as a Family.

I hope your wife finds a way to manage money, instead of money managing her, I would like everyone to be as contented in their lives as we are.

Swampie - my favorite cousin is possibly more 'under the consumerism radar' than I am! Kids and grandkids don't need to be raised in Showroom Windows - they need to be raised in a HOME.