A long time ago, in a little old mobile home in a trailer park not far from where I sit now, I would curl up in a beanbag chair with my baby girl in my arms and watch Ryne Sandberg and the Penguin on our black and white television. I used to tell that little brown-haired doll that she was welcome to marry Ryno if she wanted when she got older, cuz he was just about as cute as they come. The hapless Cubs won 70 games that year, with names I recognize but don't remember as playing for the Cubs. I wasn't a rabid fan, I was a new Navy Wife and mama at the beginning of a new adventure...as I said, it was a long time ago.
The Cubs are retiring Number 31, which was worn by Fergie Jenkins and Greg Maddux. I've seen Greg Maddux pitch...for the Atlanta Braves, against My Padres, in 1998 in San Diego. He wore glasses then. Never remembered then or since that he wore a Cubs uniform before 2004.
By the way, I kinda like this Baseball Hall of Fame site, and the other one that's been helpful is the Baseball Almanac. I like The Baseball Page, too, just found that one. Wow!
I'm off now, cold with possible freeze in the morning forecast, so need to cover my tomatoes before I bed down. I wish you mud puddles and dandelions!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment