Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Non-government changes

I began this "stage" of my life at the young age of 45. The symptoms began to manifest the summer before we transferred to Hawai'i, but didn't arrive full-blown till September - I remember the FIRST DAY of extreme discomfort...and put it off to moving stress and "climate change" from SoCal hot and dry to tropical balmy and damp. After about 7 weeks of mood swings and lack of sleep, I went to see a doc at Kaneohe. She did the blood test, but gave me Prempro anyway...and within 20 minutes of taking the first dose, I could tell the difference. What would have been a severe hot flash became a THREAT of a hot flash (I was having flashes every 41 minutes, like clockwork - day AND night), and 12 hours later, I wasn't having even those. So I slept for the first time in weeks. I didn't spend hours crying about nothing.

They will pry my HRT from my fingers if they want it back. I ain't givin' it up.

But Celia Rivenbark has a much funnier take than mine!

2 comments:

SwampWoman said...

Ugh. My PCP has me on trazodone so that I can sleep more than 2 hours per night and it seems to help a teensy little bit with the hot flashes, too.

I'm kind of foggy and forgetful, too, which I think may be hormonal.

kc aka Little Grandma's Kitchen said...

I took Trazadone for years, and it helped a LOT. My PA in Hawai'i said I needed to sleep, lack of it causes all sorts of fogginess & mood-changes. That's why it's used as 'torture' - breaks down resistance (her words). I only sleep about 5, sometimes 6 hours now, but it's better than 20 minutes sleep, then 40 minutes awake all night long like I used to.