Friday, March 27, 2009

Mr. Kenny

My brother and I were talking (IM, actually) last week, and he mentioned that the young people in his life make fun of him for using the number keys at the top of the letter keys instead of the 10-key on his computer keyboard. I do the same thing. We had the same typing teacher.

Mr. Kenny at Senator Gershaw High School in Bow Island, Alberta will live long in our memories. Glenn had him for 2 or 3 years, I was only there for one year, but my fingers remember even when my brain doesn't. Mr. Kenny taught typing the way Lori Borgman was taught!

"On a manual typewriter you were taught to strike the keys quickly like your fingers were hammers. The teacher stood at the front of the class yelling, "F! J! D! K!" and students hammered the keys on cue: BAM! BAM! BAM! BAM!"

Thanks, Mr. Kenny!

And thanks to Mrs. Kerner, who cringed and criticised EVERY FRIDAY about banging the spoon on the edge of the pan to remove food. No Home Ec teacher I ever knew LIVED her classes so well - this was the way she ran her LIFE and you will learn it the way SHE learned it!

Good teachers. Not "educators," TEACHERS!

No comments: