I have no memory of my own high school graduation speech or speeches - I know who I sat next to, and we were all a bit high at the time. I tripped up the step when it was my turn, but I was such a non-entity I'm probably the only one who remembers it. I think the principal was the "main" speaker, and I'd have to dig out the yearbook to tell you who else took the podium. I'm sure it was the expected "make a difference and BE different/ go forth and save the world that awaits you" plea that so many are.
Rabbi Avi Shafran experienced something really different from the oratory at his daughter's graduation ceremony. He's written about this experience at JewishWorldReview.com and it might be worth a few minutes of your time. There are things we really ought to preserve from the teachings of our parents and grandparents. The religion that instructs, comforts, and sustains us is one, but it certainly isn't the only one. The tenets of our Constitution are worth preserving, too, I'd say. It's going to be work, but I believe it's a worthy cause.
In The Mailbox: 09.24.26 (Evening Edition)
12 hours ago


No comments:
Post a Comment