Paco has seen fit to tag me for "eight random things about myself." I try NOT to spend a lot of time thinking about myself, so this has taken a little while, Paco - I hope you enjoy it!
1. I was born in Montana on the anniversary of the day Montana became a state. I think it's the most beautiful state in the Union, and not because of the mountains. I'm a prairie cat, y'see, and wide open spaces covered in sky are my idea of heaven.
2. I attended first grade at Bowdoin School outside Malta, Montana. It was a one-room school, with one teacher, Mrs. Beyer. She and I lived in town & she drove me to school every day. I adored her. She'd had my grandfather as a teacher when SHE was in school. She started with 8 of us at the beginning of the year, till another family moved to a farm down the road, which gave us 10 students at the end of the year. The Stiles kids sometimes rode their horse to school & would take me for rides at recess & lunch. I went to see the place a couple years ago & it made my heart ache at the horrid condition it was in. It was the best year of all my school years.
3. I spent over a week in hospital in Calgary, Alberta, Canada when I was 13, while they ran every test they could think of (EXCEPT a pregnancy test, I think). I was about 3 1/2 feet tall and I weighed in at 55 lbs. And had been that same size since I was 8 or 9, but now my skin looked almost mummified, the hair on my back was 2" long, and the hair on my head was the texture of straw AND it was falling out. I was also cold & tired all the time. Diagnosis was hypothyroidism and I've been taking medication for it ever since. I grew 6 inches in the first 8 months after I was released. But I still never made it to being 5 feet tall.
4. I can make gravy. GOOD gravy. The secrets, I have learned over the years, are that if you use flour you must 'cook' it so the flour taste goes away AND it takes TIME to make decent gravy.
5. I thread needles and deal cards left-handed.
6. I don't like music or movies much. Some of them speak to me at certain times, but mostly I'm kinda *meh* about the whole "art" scene. I couldn't act my way out of a wet paper bag and I have little or no musical ability. I listen to talk and sports-talk when I listen to the radio, and I watch almost no television unless it's cooking, gardening, D-I-Y or sports.
7. I tried to go to school to learn interior design, but couldn't seem to make it a priority (divorce and fear were further up on the list), so ended up dropping out. Now I do my own interior design with far fewer 'rules' than the classes would've had me learn.
8. To keep with Paco's theme, I do enjoy detective fiction a LOT, and wanted to be a private eye a long time ago. But not so much Miss Marple, more like Hercule Poirot (without the mustache) when I was feeling mellow or Mike Hammer when I wanted to fight. Lovely Daughter used to accuse me of spying or being psychic because of things I'd know about what goes on in my house when I'm not here...because I seem to pick up on little clues and notice things are added, rearranged or missing. Being Detective Mom was much tougher on my heart than being Grandma Daycare.
There you are, Paco. And of course, once I start thinking of things about me, NOW I can come up with probably another 8 or 10...but I won' t bore any of my several readers with more just yet! I will, however, tag SwampWoman, Kae, and Rodrigo!
Cool and rainy here in NEFL, think I'll make barley vegetable soup for My Chief (ret.). Thanks for stopping by!
In The Mailbox: 09.24.26 (Evening Edition)
13 hours ago


7 comments:
Oh gee thanks. I need a cup of tea!
I just got home from the Ian Plimer Heaven and Earth book launch. I might blog on it tomorrow, I'm tired, had to drive home in the pouring rain, and there was an accident (truck ran up a concrete barrier at some roadworks, a really badly marked lane closure).
Let me think on it overnight.
Gee thanks, KC!!
That's how I did it, Kae - got word last night when I got home from a meeting, jotted a couple notes, then went to bed. Finished this morning before the Pixie got here.
I look forward to your comments about the book launch, get some rest.
And "You're Welcome."
Heh. I would get tagged when I'm going to be spending lots of time outdoors in really crappy weather! Well, maybe later tonight.
I've discovered at this go-around of WELCOME TO FLORIDA WEATHER that I think I have gout. First Henry the Eighth, then my sister and now me. Whoopee.
KC: If you really love me, you'll share a gravy recipe!
Paco - what I've known for 25 years now is it's technique, not ingredients. I guess my biggest hint for roast turkey gravy (the one I fix the most often) is that the way I cook the bird is what contributes most of the flavor to the gravy. It's an Alton Brown method, but without putting the bird in brine. Since I started doing our turkey this way, the gravy has been SO good, EVERY time. Make sure the flour is well cooked. Stir or whisk for a long time, replenishing liquid when necessary, & let it cook back down, again & again. Plenty of pepper, and just a touch of cayenne gives almost all gravy a lift, even roast turkey. I don't like bland food, so if you like jar gravy, mine wouldn't please you even a bit.
Can't wait for Thanksgiving! Thanks!
Post a Comment