Throwing a student out of school for pointing his 'gun-finger' at someone is silly and immature, not to mention useless. Gun-control and gun-bans work for law- and rule-abiding people. Those who are otherwise don't give a rip about the laws or the rules.
SOME semblance of sanity may be returning around the country, I hope.
It soon became clear that "weapon" could be defined as anything from a pencil to a machete. The result was a rash of horror stories about students suspended or expelled for bringing plastic knives to school in their lunches, keeping nail-clippers in their lockers, even pointing finger-"guns" at other students.
I've even heard of students being punished for pictures of weapons. Drawn by LITTLE KIDS. Exactly who's the grown-up in this situation? Don't most "educators" and "education administrators" have advanced degrees, and shouldn't they have learned that little boys - particularly in military families and/or in the great expanse of agricultural areas of Flyover Country - LIKE to draw guns, bows and arrows, knives, and such? My favorite toy was a rifle of my brother's - I wanted to be The Rifleman or Paladin, and I was a girl!
In Texas, a state Senate committee is scheduled to consider Tuesday a bill that would allow school officials to take into account "mitigating factors" before punishing students for violating zero-tolerance policies. A House committee approved the companion bill earlier in a 6-0 vote.
The Texas legislation comes partly in response to a 2008 article in the Texas Tech Law Review, "Zeroing Out Zero Tolerance: Eliminating Zero Tolerance Policies in Texas Schools," which concluded that such laws have failed to reduce school violence while moving more students into the juvenile-justice system.
"I believe that we should strive to keep our schools as safe as possible," said state Sen. Mario Gallegos, the Democrat who sponsored the bill. "However, I also know that in the real world, nothing is black and white. In a world filled with gray areas, we must give our school districts the discretion to choose the appropriate punishment for those students who break the rules due to mitigating circumstances."


No comments:
Post a Comment