John Stossel's column reminds me of an incident. A few years back I was in a motorcycle wreck and had to be taken by ambulance to a local hospital. This was in San Diego County, California. After 8 days of treatment and care - and obviously I DID survive, though from what I hear that wasn't a foregone conclusion for a couple days - I was released. Our Major Medical took care of most of the hospital and doctor bills, but some charges weren't covered, such as the cost of the AMBULANCE and EMT crew. Got a bill. A LARGE bill, considering they'd had to resuscitate me at least once. I'd never seen an AMBULANCE bill before - I don't make a habit of using that service, thank goodness - but I paid it off a little at a time. I never begrudged the county for charging for the service. Mine was not an attack or an accident, it was a drunken wreck that could easily have been avoided by sensible action on my part. A few years before that, I'd needed the services of LifeFlight in Flagler County, Florida. I did NOT get charged for that, though I can see where it would be reasonable to do so - because it was my own idiocy that caused the problem, not the taxpayers of Flagler County.
From the column:
Give me a break. Why should other people chip in to pay for people who get themselves into trouble and need rescuing? They should take responsibility for the costs they impose on others. As Herbert Spencer wisely said, "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools."
By the way, I've had need of ambulance service only three times in my life, and the most recent time I was stone cold sober, which made it a MUCH better experience for all concerned. If your calling has been to work as an EMT or trauma nurse, THIS survivor of her own idiocy says THANK YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment