This is the anniversary of D-Day, the Allied invasion of Europe in the attempt to save the Free World from the domination of Nazi evil. The Allies had little chance of success those first hours and the waters ran red with the blood of the men who landed on those beaches that day, And yet, they persevered.
It is my thought that we may yet have to fight another War of Liberation in the not-so-distant future, against an evil just as bloodthirsty and tyrannical.
Did I say 'we?' Yes, I did. I'm not convinced we'll be able to keep the war from this continent this time. We've done a pretty fair job so far, but I see no promise that the lines of security will hold in the future. Not with people like that scum in Little Rock just biding their time and our elected officials and their toadies treating invaders better than citizens.
This date has a special meaning for me, on an even more personal level. The Sixth of June, 1997 was the first day of my life as a member in good standing of The Original 12-Step Program. There was no guarantee on that day that I'd survive to see many more, due to some pretty serious injuries that may or may not have mended themselves. My BAC was the highest I've ever heard - and I've heard lots. My liver was lacerated, my spleen was bruised, and I had concussion, a cracked vertebra and a bunch of broken ribs. There was also extensive road rash, some of which I'll get back to. I spent 8 days in hospital, then 10 weeks supposedly on bed rest. Homemakers don't do "bed rest" very well, so I fudged on the standing, lifting, cleaning, bending, and (lastly) driving because I HAD to.
About 35 days into that recovery, I attended my first 12 Step meeting. And I've been going regularly, no matter where I am, ever since. Got my head straight, got my soul right, and got on with living a pretty damn good life. Some of it has been easy peasy, and some of it has been a slog. But as long as I'm breathing, I've got a way to deal with anything that comes down the pike, from crapola politicians and pathetic excuses for presidents to attacks on my Country, to natural disasters made worse by stupid human bureaucracy, to the deaths of friends and family, to pain that reminds me how much I used to love to fight. Every day, when I shave my legs, I see the 'tattoo' where the threads from my Levi's embedded themselves in my knee that night.,.and I remember what it was like, what happened, and what it's like now. Unlike June 5, 1997, I have a Program, a design for living, which works under any and all circumstances.
When I first got Sober, the internet was a side-show, an interesting creation that might be fun for some. We'd had a pc since 1990 and we bought our first new one in '97 or '98. When I left SoCal, I kept in touch with my AA family with email and online meetings. It was terrific then and it's better now. I still use it to stay in touch with sponsors, sponsees, and AA friends all over the world.
Neither of these creations which have saved and enriched my life would be possible if it weren't for this being the United States of America, where individual liberty, freedom of assembly, freedom of worship, and an unyielding belief in creating and improving our own lives has taken a hold I never thought would die. The benefits have been felt around the globe since the beginning.
It can die. The Free World has been saved by the sacrificial blood of our brothers in arms more than once. NOT by the rhetoric of pantywaist politicians who will say anything for a vote or an increase in poll numbers. Pretty words will not save this Nation from enslavement by those who care little for pretty words. I hope we don't let it die without a whimper, much less without a fight.
So, as I celebrate my 12th AAnniversary, free from the tyranny that once ruled me, I ask that you remember those who laid down their lives, those who dedicated their lives and those who still fight a war that never ends - the fight for the Liberty and Freedom that is at the heart of every Honourable Man and Woman.
UPDATE: Tim Blair has an example of why I haven't watched network television in about 15 years...what a pathetic piece of work Brokaw is!
Saturday, June 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment