Let me first state that I have no religious affiliation. I am not Christian, nor do I identify with any of the non-Christian ideologies that are found around the world. My mother took Catholic training in order to marry my father in the Church (I'm betting it was an inheritance idea), and I WAS baptized there, as was my older brother. (My best friend says since I was baptised AND I'm pro-Life, I'm actually MORE Catholic than many supposedly "practicing" Catholics) My parents sent us to (usually Methodist) Sunday school when we were kids, till we moved to Canada and were 20 miles of dirt road from the closest church. After Big Brother and I moved out and began our own adult lives, my parents converted to Judaism, and my sister was taken to Temple and sent to Sunday school at the local synagogue where they lived. I tend to lean that direction, when pushed for "religious identity." I married a non-religious Methodist, and our daughter often went to church or Sunday school with her friends. I do, however, have a firm belief in a Power Greater Than Myself. I have no dispute with religion or religious symbols being displayed in our country.
However, I DO have a peeve about American citizens who seem to be demanding NO symbolism of Christianity (in particular) on ANY public property within ANY public view. These fanatics are becoming on a par with the Taliban, in my mind, who destroyed statues of Buddha that were centuries old...because their puritanical mix of "religion" gave them that privilege, they ran the country, and Might Makes Right in their world.
Destruction in the name of God - or not-God - is as old as mankind. It makes no more sense to say our Constitution forbids ALL display of religion on 'public' property - and must be removed if it has already been created - than it does to dynamite the centuries-old Buddhas because of a recent Koranic interpretation.
Bob Tyrrell at Jewish World Review inspired my little rant here. Thanks, Bob!
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment