Thursday, December 31, 2009

Since when...

...does the decade START with the number 10 - or 00? What the HELL are these people thinking? I heard the substitute hosts on Mike and Mike in the Morning ask what 'from the last decade' should we get rid of. Huh. Doesn't the decade begin with '1?' As in Ten Plus ONE is the beginning of a new decade? Did I wander through a time-warp or cross into an alternate universe that keeps Time differently?

We're coming into Two Thousand TEN. It's the last year of the decade, Boys! A new decade is a whole year away, whether your own personal justification and reworking of facts says so or not. Sesame Street helped lots of young'uns count to ten, and they count ten as the LAST number, not the first. I know, cuz I just caught that segment yesterday. It was similar to this one...



Geeezzz...I think I'll pay attention to this guy, he seems to have a handle on Reality:

"It's not a new decade! The new decade -- the second of the second millennium -- does not start until 365 days from today." -Dr. Walter E. Williams

5 comments:

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

Jocks, Jock "Reporters" and simple numbers. The numbers will win.

Bob Therieau said...

It's true that if you include this year in the new decade, you end up making it nearly eleven years long, but 2010 will always be included in the decade we'll fondly look back on as "The Teens." It happens. Everything's gonna be okay. We can all still have a happy new year, can't we?

kc aka Little Grandma's Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kc aka Little Grandma's Kitchen said...

Bob, I certainly can't make 'em act like I KNOW they SHOULD act - and I can't re-teach 'em their numbers, no matter how much better I'd be at it...intelligence and wisdom do not come by force.

Then again, PGU, the jocks, jock wannabes and other talking hairdo's aren't the only ones I've heard and see doing it - Bob knows!

Gonna be ok, cuz in the long run I really don't give a flyin' fig and I already thought they were all dopes.

I believe it's possible this became the talking point mantra simply because people were SO ready for the decade that brought us the 9-11 attack (among others) and the rise of socialism to be OVER. Personally, I tried to chop off my thumb Monday, so I'm really glad THAT week is finished!

Kait said...

I agree with you Mom!