If you have children...I'd like your take on this topic.
Do your precious babies have unrestricted use of the computer, or possibly their own? Are they allowed on social networking sites? Do you oversee the way these sites are used by your children?
Do you (or they) consider it a violation of their right to free speech if when they post something to a page belonging to someone else they get a reply they don't like and with which they (vehemently) disagree? Do you believe children (under 18 and living in your home) have the Right to Free Speech? Is anyone - including parent - having and expressing an opinion counter to said child's opinion or view considered repression and oppression of THEIR First Amendment Right?
I'm trying very hard to keep my temper, considering the sources...but it sure is giving me the Opportunity for Growth I was told about when I first decided to change my life...lying and stretching the truth and convenient selective memory and name-calling and dragging up the past to no good end tends to make me grumpy. Your thoughts are ALWAYS welcome here, thanks for stopping by!
UPDATE: Another question - when posting to the site of another, are your precious babies sure it's ok with Mom and Dad if they swear, insult, or lie to or about the person whose site they comment on - because that's just what said child is like, he/she doesn't 'care' what anyone thinks (no chit, Cherlock?) and so what?
*sigh*
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hmmm. My kids are all grown up now but, when they were younger, they used my computer when I wasn't on it. I KNOW that, when I wasn't in the room, they were up to mischief but that was before social networking or even weblogs. Chatrooms were what was big then. I warned them daily no real names,no phone numbers, no addresses with online people. (Whether they obeyed the rules all the time I could not say, but no sex offenders showed up at the house.)
I'd be VERY disinclined to allow a kid to post anything on a social networking site that identifies them because that can stay around forever. Just because a parent forbids it, though, doesn't mean that they aren't posting at a friend's house, at the library while they're supposed to do a report, or late at night while the parent is asleep.
A kid under 18 having the right to free speech in my house that I'm paying for? Oh, please. They can have free speech when they're living on their own and paying their own damn bills. I was the Queen, and the kids are the subjects.
I'm glad to hear you say that, Swampie! Rank has its privileges and in this household, I outrank everyone.
Post a Comment