Monday, January 4, 2010

Gossip is NOT "news"

I don't care what anyone else thinks - gossip is ugly for the subject and for the ones doing the gossiping. "Murder by character assassination" kills ME as surely as it hurts the one I talk about. I won't go into any holier-than-thou spiel about how 'nice' it isn't, I'll just say I've been the gossiper and the gossipee in my time running around the sun, and neither one have improved my opinion of either myself or others...in fact, just the opposite.

Now, along with regular celebutard gossip, we have the granddaddy of yellow journalism on tv and online creating a sister gossip site for sports. Isn't that just...pathetic. But you KNOW it's gonna make a ton of money for the gossipers and those who tattle. Ick.

From JewishWorldReview.com, Mitch Albom - one of my all-time favorite sports writers - and writers in general, I think - tells about the launch of a sports-gossip enterprise that will make the National Enquirer look like "Fun With Dick and Jane." As the headline states, "There's nothing sporting about gossip as news."

2 comments:

Buck said...

re: Albom. I began reading him back when I moved to Deetroit in the mid-80s when he did his sports column (and ONLY sports!) for the Freep. He's obviously broadened his horizons since, but he remains one of the best... if not THE best... sportswriters in the bid'niz. I quote him often around playoff time... (that would be hockey playoff time, of course.)

kc aka Little Grandma's Kitchen said...

I moved South and married someone with no attachment to hockey, but my best friend is from Wisconsin, she goes to Gator hockey games, was a season ticket holder for the Barracudas for years. I'm a Calgary Flames fan these days, though I know little to nothing about any of the teams or their standings. Calgary was where my life was saved (the first time) by the miracle of modern medicine. It wasn't the last, but it made an impression. I don't cheer for any eastern Canadian teams, and I much prefer the smaller market teams, same as baseball & football favorites. I really hate cities. Really.

Maybe when the Pixie goes to school I'll find more time for more outside interests, but for now, it just ain't happenin.'

By the way, thanks for visiting. I was beginning to think I was the only one ever came here.